A Beautiful and Historic City: (a) Heritage
Preserving and enhancing local heritage for the cultural benefit and health and wellbeing of present and future generations.
- To protect and enhance the site and setting of the Durham Cathedral and Castle World Heritage Site;
- To protect and enhance the Conservation Areas and their setting by sensitive and well-designed development that:
- balances conflicting needs with emphasis on avoiding diluting the distinctive character of the locality;
- sustains and increases their social, economic and environmental vitality;
- avoids the cumulative impact of dominating schemes either by their size, massing or uniform use;
- To uphold high standards of sympathetic, distinctive, and innovative design;
- To identify and protect heritage assets.
- Policy H1: Protection of the World Heritage Site
- Policy H2: The Conservation Areas
- Policy H3: The Character Areas
- Policy H4: Our Neighbourhood Outside the Conservation Areas
- Policy H5: Listed buildings, Scheduled Ancient Monuments, Registered Parks and Gardens and Registered Battlefields
- Policy H6: Non-designated Heritage Assets
The convener for this theme is Kirsty Thomas