A Beautiful and Historic City: (a) Heritage
Durham City’s local heritage will be conserved and enhanced for the cultural benefit and health and well being of present and future generations.
- To conserve and enhance the site and setting of the Durham Cathedral and Castle World Heritage Site;
- To conserve and enhance the Conservation Areas and their setting by sensitive and well-designed development that:
- balances conflicting needs with emphasis on avoiding diluting the distinctive character of the locality;
- sustains and increases their social, economic and environmental vitality;
- avoids the cumulative impact of schemes which dominate either by their size, massing or uniformity;
- To uphold high standards of sympathetic, distinctive, and innovative design;
- To conserve heritage assets.
- Policy H1: Protection of the World Heritage Site
- Policy H2: The Conservation Areas
- Policy H3: Our Neighbourhood Outside the Conservation Areas
- Policy H4: Heritage Assets
The convener for this theme is Ann Evans.