Our task is the creation of a Neighbourhood Plan for Durham City Centre, developed from the views of the local community. This plan will:
- establish general planning policies for the development and use of land in the City, within a framework set down in the County Durham Plan
- be put out for consultation, once a draft has been written
- be independently examined, once finalised after consultation
- be put to a referendum of local people for approval
- be legally adopted, if approved, and used to determine planning applications and guide planning decisions
In this work we will be supported by the local planning authority, Durham County Council.
The Localism Act introduced new rights and powers which local communities can use to shape and permit additional new development. In areas with a Town or Parish Council, this work is done by those bodies. Elsewhere a Neighbourhood Planning Forum can be set up, and this is what has happened in Durham City Centre. The application to set up a Durham City Neighbourhood Planning Forum was approved by the County Council on 16 January 2014 (Decision notice).